Everything on this site is copyrighted by Jenna Star Friedman. You may not copy or reproduce anything here without written permission by me. Thank you.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Causeway Beach

I sat right on the beach (under my umbrella) when I painted this scene. There were some people walking around, but I didn't include them -- I usually don't want to put people in my landscapes. Not that I don't like people, but I want the focus to be on the natural setting, and once you have people in a painting, the eye immediately goes to them as the focal point. Anyway I first did this painting on the beach, but it got so hot and the sand was blowing around in my eyes and sticking on the canvas, so I finished it up later in the studio. I put the painting away for a while, as I often do when I'm not sure if I'm finished, so that when I take it out again I can see it with fresh eyes. I worked on this one some more and at last feel it's done. Does this count as plein air? Not in the plein air ultra-purist's eyes it wouldn't. This is something my fellow plein air painters and I discuss sometimes: to what extent does something have to be painted totally at the scene to be considered plein air? I understand when competitions need to have strict guidelines and specify what percentage of a painting has to be done outside to qualify for being defined as plein air in order to level the playing field. I have been in some plein air paintout events where I was pretty certain some of the painters were submitting studio work instead. That's deceptive and not fair to others who are painting by the rules. But when it's not a competition or judged event, and simply a matter of how to define a style of painting? For me then, plein air paintings would include artwork that is conceived, started, and mostly worked out in the field. Not that any of this matters much to most people at all! If you'd like to purchase this, or anything else you see here, contact me at jennastarfriedman@gmail.com for availability and prices. Thanks for visiting!
Causeway Beach, 11x14", Oil

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

The Wild Old Lady From Florida said...

Beautiful painting, and informative commentary on Plein Air Painting! Keep it up!

Jenna Star Friedman said...

Thanks so much for your comment!